Fromme - No quarter to 7th
40%
Seymour - Fish, Bridle, R&R, Penny Lane, GSM to Dale's
10%
Eagle - Imby, Physio, Psychotherapyy
50%
Total votes: 10
Oct. 6, 2023, 6:35 p.m.

I've been comparing different climbs and wondering what people think the hardest local climb is. Looking at climbs that are mostly trail and minimize service road and gravel path type climbing, so while climbs like Burke and Cypress aren't easy, they're just a slog up a road. Not sure about Bear, haven't ridden there Some climbs can be made a lot longer (harder?) by adding in road. For example on Eagle you can park down by the Tim Horton's on Barnet Hwy and climb up the Coquitlam Crunch to Imby and then hit the road to go up to full pull - probably the longest and highest climb climb that can be done in one shot locally unless a bunch of paved road is included.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 7, 2023, 3:43 p.m.

Whoa I just voted no quarter and now it's an even split. 

While sections of imby are technical, same for R&R obviously,  I am wierd because my fitness sucks but I'm a decent technical climber (until I run out of gas), so technical features don't bother me as long as there's some opportunity for recovery in between.

I find No quarter has a lot of sections where there just no recovery spots for long periods of climbing, it feels like it has the longest sustained steep sections.

Oct. 9, 2023, 8:17 a.m.

Curious why Burke is not included on this.  Some parts of it (on the north side climb) are steep, and if you want a real challenge, try the east side road up.  Those that have done it will know......maybe not the longest but will test you to the limits for sure.  Providing the black flies don't get you first.  Going from the gun club to Mow It Down beats the Fromme climb for sure, and is more technical.

Oct. 9, 2023, 9:31 a.m.

^

It's mostly just a steep road though there are only a couple of difficult sections tech wise. It's about 460m vert. Likewise climbing up Cypress via Eagle Creek and the Moose is a road but is just over 600m vert. Doing Eagle from the very bottom and climbing up the Crunch then the road all the way gets you about 800m of climbing and some road sections that are notably harder than what's on Burke. Plus on eagle you can pedal all the way up to the old ski hill to get just over 1000m of vert in if starting at the very bottom of the Crunch. All of those though are primarily gravel road grunts, not trail. There are a couple other big climbs, but they include a bunch of hike-a-bike, so they don't really count.

For my money Eagle from the very bottom to Full Pull is the hardest continual climb with no mandatory hike-a-bike, but it's all gravel road and not trail.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 9, 2023, 1:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 9, 2023, 10:16 a.m.

That Burke fire road is disgusting lol

Regarding IMBY I don't find the climb too technically challenging, it's the fatigue that gets me since I am in such poor shape now.

The moves are fine, but the body is tired lol

Oct. 9, 2023, 12:03 p.m.

Burke for misery factor for sure, but I get why it's not included. 

Burke is almost more Whistler-esque. 

I will say, my first couple climbing experiences in Whistler changed my perspective on north shore climbs.

Oct. 9, 2023, 12:30 p.m.

Between the Seymour and Fromme options, I think No Quarter is a slightly harder effort overall because it sort of progressively gets steeper and more technical so you get the hardest part when you're already tired.

I'm most likely to dab on R&R though. I think I cleaned it 50% of the time. This used to be my reference tech climb on new/demo/test bikes. But the rest of that climbing route is not that hard.

I've never ridden Eagle.

Oct. 9, 2023, 5:19 p.m.

None of the above. Try this Seymour Climb if you are looking for harder but still rideable.

Start at Seymour River/Dollarton Hwy near sea level and make your way through Seymour River Heritage Park to north side of Seymour Parkway and Riverside Dr.

Climb on the gravel sidewalk on north side of Seymour Parkway to Browning Place to end. Look for double track that descends to old moto-x area gravel pit.

Climb chundery trail to the Bendale Road to Carnation St gravel path, then Lennox St and Layton Place. Take short urban gravel path to Hayseend Close, then to Berkley and Hyannis.

Hyannis Trail to Powerline

Up Powerline Access Trail to Mushroom Trail (yes, I have cleaned it non-stop).

Mushroom Trail to Corkscrew. Then if you picked an early morning mid-week, climb Corkscrew (you will have good sight lines with lots of areas to pull over if you hear anyone coming, and yes it is climbable except for one wood ramp without lots of trials hopping).

Around the Corner to Pinch Flat Alley... beyond which is off the charted maps/here be dragons etc.

About 100 minutes +/- non-stop.

Have fun ;-)

PS There used to be a trail from upper mid Greenland to the corduroy skid road that crosses Cambodia, which would make a great official climbing route, but the new machine work flow trail has wrecked that route as a climbing trail.

Last edited by: taprider on Oct. 9, 2023, 9:16 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 9, 2023, 11:21 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I've never ridden Eagle.

I get the feeling you would really like the IMBY / Physio / Shock therapy climb.

Oct. 10, 2023, 6:06 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

None of the above. Try this Seymour Climb if you are looking for harder but still rideable.

Have you gone up the powerlines recently? It's looser than it has been in the past and in some spots the hard track is gone altogether. I don't mind not making a section because of tech like up and overs etc, but steep and loose dbl track just sucks the fun out of it.

Oct. 10, 2023, 6:49 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I've never ridden Eagle.

I get the feeling you would really like the IMBY / Physio / Shock therapy climb.

Would love to try it sometime. Kind of stupid I never made it out there in 10 years on the Shore but with Fromme/Seymour/Cypress so close the additional driving kept me from it.

Oct. 10, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I've never ridden Eagle.

Would love to try it sometime. Kind of stupid I never made it out there in 10 years on the Shore but with Fromme/Seymour/Cypress so close the additional driving kept me from it.

This is one of the downfalls of getting comfortable and only riding specific areas.  I love Eagle, but only intermittently.  Massage Therapy, Manhandler, EB+D...there is much there but it is not as varied as the Shore.  Biggest issue for me is parking, hence why I never ride Eagle unless midweek.  Burke is good, but on weekends get there early as hikers take up a lot of parking spots.  But the riding is much more natural and ungroomed (Bean and Nescafe as a combo is one of my top trails ever).  Woodlot is good but variety is limited once you know the area (compared).  But every riding locale has its own flavour and feel to it and you know instantly when you are there.  I like variety but only being able to ride once a week my choice is limited.  But I strongly urge those not familiar with the aforementioned areas to check them out.  They are all on trail forks and you never know....you might find one place to your personal liking and find a new favourite.

Oct. 10, 2023, 6:30 p.m.

Posted by: syncro
I don't mind not making a section because of tech like up and overs etc, but steep and loose dbl track just sucks the fun out of it.

But climbing until you can taste your bile is TYPE 2 FUN.

It's just that NSMBA didn't get the memo

Last edited by: taprider on Oct. 10, 2023, 6:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 11, 2023, 1:01 p.m.

Anyone done the Cypress climb under the powerline? Fucking awful.

Oct. 11, 2023, 2:56 p.m.

Posted by: hotlapz

Anyone done the Cypress climb under the powerline? Fucking awful.

Yup - I'd imagine the one on Seymour is worse though.