syncro's trail blog

Feb. 15, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

a long time ago i had an idea for a rather crazy stunt that involved having to do a trackstand on a platform while it swung in a half circle. it was gonna be on the second log ride on my trail between those two sections that seem to be ramps to no-where:

but eventually came to the conclusion that even if i could get it to work the way i envisioned there's maybe a handful of people on the planet who could actually pull it off. so i decided i'd just make that section a skinny instead and link together a bunch of straight sections to make a half circle. funnily enough there's one dude i've seen who will hit the log and ride onto the first ramp then do a couple of rear wheel hops to get back onto the log to do the drop. it's kind of motivated me to get this section finished to give him something more to ride so thanks to whomever you are!

while wandering the forest a couple months back i found something that offered me a ton of possibilites for evil genius type creativity. so i decided to put it to use for the ramps to no-where as it would be a much better solution than using straight sections tagged together. after ripping it in half this is what i was left with:

unfortunately they don't quite match up with the two ramps i'd like to connect them to, but with some creative saw work i can get them to fit like it's one continuous piece. i also have another, shorter and tighter curved log that i could use as well and am debating on having one big arc made with just those two pieces above or using the other section and creating something that would be like a big s, kinda like this:

whaddya think is best? just use one big arc and use the other curved log for something else or combine the two for one really trick skinny line?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 16, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

Option A keeps it with the spirit of the rest of the trail.

Feb. 16, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

Option A keeps it with the spirit of the rest of the trail.

I vote for option A as well. Despite being crappy at skinny's in the past I have managed to get worse at them.

If you are going to build something, you might as well built it. Will the straight line down the log still work as normal?

Feb. 16, 2016, 9:21 p.m.

whaddya think is best? just use one big arc and use the other curved log for something else or combine the two for one really trick skinny line?

You obviously need to pull out your calculator for this one.

Feb. 16, 2016, 9:35 p.m.

You obviously need to pull out your calculator for this one.

one step ahead of you - already did it! plus i used the sine wave function.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 3:50 a.m.

1. My hands get wet from just taking a look at the ride-around skinny thing in the picture, which is nmice. Have not had that particular feeling for a looooong time.

2. Option A. I would love to see how that turns out, syncro.

Am I stupid enough to give it a try….on a hardtail….I do not know yet. Probably scared witless.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 19, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

Forgot about that…..10 or 12 years ago,wasn't it?

I could totally build that pivot nowadays…..

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 19, 2016, 5:27 p.m.

Forgot about that…..10 or 12 years ago,wasn't it?

I could totally build that pivot nowadays…..

yeah no doubt it would be bomber, but it would still sit empty from nobody being able to ride it.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 5:53 p.m.

1. My hands get wet from just taking a look at the ride-around skinny thing in the picture, which is nmice. Have not had that particular feeling for a looooong time.

2. Option A. I would love to see how that turns out, syncro.

Am I stupid enough to give it a try….on a hardtail….I do not know yet. Probably scared witless.

i want to go with option A but unfortunately it's not going to work out with the spacing i have. there's a large tree i have to deal with as well and that's limiting how things can go together so it will have to be option B. i guess the good thing is that i can save the other curved piece for something else.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 6 p.m.

Will the straight line down the log still work as normal?

yep, that will ride as normal.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 19, 2016, 6:54 p.m.

yeah no doubt it would be bomber, but it would still sit empty from nobody being able to ride it.

Can't believe how long it's been

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 27, 2016, 2:32 a.m.

Can't believe how long it's been

So, why not bring it back? If riders want a serious challenge that reflects the spirit of the Shore, why not?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 27, 2016, 2:49 a.m.

So, why not bring it back? If riders want a serious challenge that reflects the spirit of the Shore, why not?

he helped me out with some stuff back in the beginning and is simply surprised how long it's been as it doesn't seem that far back that we was living on the shore, with no kids, etc.

Ellen Langer

Feb. 27, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

things that move require constant maintenance, and usually end up spending more time broken than not.

Feb. 27, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

this is now open for business and ready to serve customers.

Ellen Langer