Climbing Trail to CBC

July 21, 2023, 12:51 p.m.

Is there a climbing trail to CBC (can't find any in trailforks) or do you still need to drive up (shuttle) and/or take the road? Somebody in passing at the lower trails when we came down from Neds,mentioned you could from Mushroom trail but seems incorrect. THanks for any input

July 23, 2023, 2:07 p.m.

There's a trail from the Mushroom lot to the BOTTOM of CBC...

I guess if you're on an ebike or superhuman you might be able to piece together a way of climbing up from the Mushroom lot avoiding the road but there's no dedicated climbing trail as such. 

You can almost climb on trail to just BELOW the Mushroom lot (ie push up Incline)

Aug. 1, 2023, 2:15 p.m.

Tangent, is there any word on Dream Wizards building something new in the Cambodia zone (not Cambodia or Neds)? Possibly a climb trail?

Re: CBC, yep it's road only. Have noticed a lot more mountain bikers pedaling up the road in the past couple years as well. I do it myself once a week or so, definitely prefer to shuttle but it isn't a bad climb, car traffic is way lower than Cypress (at least in the summer when the ski resort is closed).

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 1, 2023, 2:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 1, 2023, 2:34 p.m.

I thought Cambodia was being turned into a hiking trail (at least Metro Van want to turn the whole of that zone into "hiking only") though I *think* I also heard that DW have done some work to make Cambodia a blue trail but have left some of the harder features in place. So, yeah, I'm confused...

I also saw an IG post from DW about doing some work on Orleans.

I need to get back to that zone myself and have a poke around

Aug. 1, 2023, 6:44 p.m.

Can confirm. Cambodia is mostly closed for rebuild, and I saw a dream wizards sign roughly around where icelandia crosses it. 

I assume since there are multiple signs posted at the trail, it's ok to post. 

I also noticed work on Orleans but it looked quite new and soft, so I did not ride.  

Going to be really interesting to see what all happens in that zone, especially given there are so many pretty gnarly trails adjacent to the ones being worked on.

Aug. 1, 2023, 11:07 p.m.

Coincidentally

https://nsmba.ca/cambodia-trail-update-temporary-closure/

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Aug. 1, 2023, 11:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 2, 2023, 9:40 a.m.

At least they are not closing it.

Aug. 2, 2023, 11:41 a.m.

It's been a process to try and get Cambodia sanctioned. In 2013 when I was on the NSMBA board there were walk throughs on the trail with Metro and at a point it looked like it was close. 

Climbing trail to the top of CBC sure would be nice.

Aug. 2, 2023, 4:02 p.m.

It's the Icelandia intersection I was talking about, need to walk around there and see what's happening. Looks like Cambodia will be a few months away when we get rain: https://nsmba.ca/cambodia-trail-update-temporary-closure/ so 10+ years in the making eh, wow, respect to those involved getting it done, lot better than things getting shut down, although I think land managers realize shutting down natural trails without crazy woodwork will become a hostile game of whack-a-mole. Hopefuly status quo persists.

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 2, 2023, 4:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 3, 2023, 1:36 p.m.

Old buck is the climbing trail to cbc, traverse on the road from the hangman parking lot

Sept. 28, 2023, 11:19 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

It's the Icelandia intersection I was talking about, need to walk around there and see what's happening. Looks like Cambodia will be a few months away when we get rain: https://nsmba.ca/cambodia-trail-update-temporary-closure/ so 10+ years in the making eh, wow, respect to those involved getting it done, lot better than things getting shut down, although I think land managers realize shutting down natural trails without crazy woodwork will become a hostile game of whack-a-mole. Hopefuly status quo persists.

Status quo or status bro?

Sept. 28, 2023, 12:24 p.m.

Definitely status bro. I've mostly been riding weekday WFH lunch rides, but happened to be at Seymour at 4:30pm last Friday (sunny, before massive rain forecast, which turned out not to be so massive) and the scene was ridiculous compared to a few years ago.

Sept. 28, 2023, 12:56 p.m.

Anyone know what the official status of Cambodia/Icelandia/Orleans/Lumpy is??

I've not seen anything to suggest all of the above is now properly sanctioned (and/or open) but I was hiking in that zone a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see any trail closure signs or signs of active work but I did see what looked like a lot of fresh trail and several groups of riders...

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Sept. 28, 2023, 12:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 28, 2023, 1:49 p.m.

https://nsmba.ca/cambodia-trail-update-temporary-closure/

Sept. 28, 2023, 1:51 p.m.

As the crew continues their work, and with such dry conditions (yes, we’ve had some rain, but not nearly enough!), we need to close the trail down completely to allow all the great work that Daniel and Henry are doing to properly set up.

As it stands currently, the trail is still unsanctioned while we overhaul it, but will be officially sanctioned once Metro signs off that the work is completed. Stay tuned for the official announcement of its opening!

Last edited by: heckler on Sept. 28, 2023, 1:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.