Hip packs / discussion

April 27, 2024, 5:20 p.m.

I have a really old Camelback (like 10 years) hip pack and it's big and bulky, slides / moves around a lot, has skinny straps that dig in, it's time to donate this thing and get something nicer.

Been looking at the rail 2 from Thule and some of the Evoc bags but they seem pretty large. Not in to backpacks for 99% of rides.

Do you use one?

What do you have?

Do you like it?

Thoughts, ideas, etc

April 27, 2024, 6:18 p.m.

I've been really impressed with the evoc hip pack pro with the double (velcro and clip) for wiggle free riding.

There are also a bunch of smaller brands making cool hip bags, I have Ovjea Negra and it's great but in general these smaller brand bags are less fully-featured. 

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.com/products/royale-hip-pack

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/p/greysill

But... I'll also put in a good word for vest style bags. I got the evoc hyrdo pro and my hop packs aren't seeing much use.

April 27, 2024, 6:58 p.m.

I use a small 1L Evoc hip pouch for most rides, combined with a water bottle on the frame.

https://evocsports.ca/collections/hip-packs/products/hip-pouch

Holds minipump, tube, tire levers, minitool, tire plug, powerlink, keys, wallet, phone, energy bar, water purification tablet.

Works for me for up to about 3h rides in predictable weather. It's light, doesn't move around, and I don't really notice it's there.

Anything bigger, I don't see the point of going for a hip pack and prefer a proper hydration pack. I use an Osprey Raptor 14 for when I want to bring more water/food/layers and an even bigger old Camelbak pack for epic missions.

April 28, 2024, 8:05 a.m.

I don’t like camelbacks or hip packs but I have a DaKine Hot laps that I really like as it’s barely there. 

It fits into the “more stuff then fits in my SWAT pockets and only two water bottles/don’t need water for the dog” type of rides. 

For bigger than that I have a Camelback that I’d like to replace with a ESWE to see if they really stay put but I don’t get out for big rides much these days so haven’t bothered yet. :(

April 28, 2024, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

For bigger than that I have a Camelback that I’d like to replace with a ESWE to see if they really stay put but I don’t get out for big rides much these days so haven’t bothered yet. :(

I have a small USWE pack (Airborne 3L) and it stays put as long as the straps are set up snug. It does feel a bit restrictive the first few times you wear it, but once you're riding you don't really know it's there, and most importantly it doesn't bounce around at all. I recently picked up a larger pack to be able to carry a rain shell or extra jersey but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Test fitting at home says it should work as well as the smaller pack tho.

April 28, 2024, 9:20 a.m.

For me the main reason for a hip pack is to carry a second bottle. 

I do lots of rides where one bottle is potentially not enough, but not long enough for me to need a backpack.

April 28, 2024, 10:09 a.m.

I do have a small vest / hydration pack and a larger camelback backpack as well that I use once or twice a year for longer rides, I'm just looking for something smaller to come on pretty much every single other ride. I have no desire to carry a bladder in it but I do really like the second bottle options. These are the ones that caught my eye the most so far but I only just started looking in to this. The evoc is bigger, but I think I might just be drawn to the strap style these 2 bags have since my straps drive me bonkers.

https://www.thule.com/en-ca/backpacks/hydration-backpacks-and-bags/thule-rail-hip-pack-2l-_-3204480

https://www.evocsports.com/HIP-PACK-PRO-3/102503120

Edit - if that Evoc pouch that Niels posted had bottle sleeve I would probably just pick that up tbh.

Last edited by: thaaad on April 28, 2024, 12:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2024, 11:23 a.m.

A tiny mountainSmith bumbag which just about holds phone, glasses, multool and nothing else for short laps - tiny thing but as I think that having my phone in a side pocket in my shorts will mean it gets broken in a fall.

Evoc hippack Pro 3 for longer rides where I don't want a backpack - it's REALLY well made, probably the best hippack I have ever used. Two bottles either side, elbow pads, first aid, glasses, gloves, tools, snacks. The works. Also becoming the main workhorse as my bike doesn't have water bottle mounts.

Then onto sweatybackdomshire....

USWE 3L for small rides where I want to slot the above in differently or I'm running/snowboarding where having a great locked-in small back pack is a better choice. Probably hold a little less than the EVOC hippack but it's all weighted differently and has lots of well made compartments.
USWE 15L patriot for days where I want a lot or don't want to wear any pads until it's down time, plus a back protector, hand helmet off and lots of items. Great for big days out in any pasttime
EVOC Trailbuilder for BIG days where I want a lot of gear, trail day halp, big days out in the sea to sky - or usually if I'm snowboarding with family and need space to carry their stuff as well. Not as much rotation for this one but when I need it, nothing else comes close for features and the EVOC waist straps are second to none (same for the hippack pro)

Last edited by: DanL on April 28, 2024, 11:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2024, 7:01 p.m.

I've been using a Lab Austere for several years now. I like it so much that I recently purchased (on sale) another one to eventually replace my aging one.

I find it is really excellent if you are looking for a minimalistic setup. I rarely use it to carry a waterbottle, but you can fit up to two. I generally only carry my car keys, multitool, tire plugs, quick links, ventolin pump and energy bars. I also like to carry a rolled towel for sweat management. With this, there is ample room left for other small stuff, but not really for bigger stuff like warm layers. For fall riding, I can fit a very thin jacket, rolled in one of the water bottle pockets, but that's it.

Basically, it may not be big enough for most people, but if you're looking for a small hip bag, I suggest you check it out.

https://labaustere.com/collections/frontpage/products/minimize-hydration-lumbar-pack-v-2

April 28, 2024, 7:40 p.m.

I have been running the Dakine Hot Laps 2L for a few years now. Super well made, no sign of wear. Surprisingly waterproof (cleaned mud off with pressure washer, no water ingress). Dont notice it while wearing it. Easily carries multi tool, tire plugs, phone, wallet, keys and snacks.

April 29, 2024, 4:17 a.m.

We love a hip pack in our house, we have a cornucopia of them as we have 3 people riding...

My go-to shorter/local ride pack is a Dakine Hot laps 5. Holds my tools, snacks, tube, pumps (mini and shock), emotional support jacket/vest and phone/keys.  Bottle on the bike, I occasionally use the bladder with it (1/2 full) if it's really hot. You can use the side straps to properly cinch it down so it doesn't move.  I have the old version without the hip pocket.  

I do have a EVOC Enduro backpack for big rides/full face carry/need extra sandwiches rides.

We also have...

Dakine Hot Laps 1L - good for snacks, small multitool, tyre levers and phone, bottle carrier on the side works well (we haven't had any premature ejections) and the straps on the bottom will take the inevitable removed layer.  I haven't used it but my teens like it and say it doesn't move.  You can't fit a 22cm minipump in it, but that's not really the point of it. 

Osprey Savu 5 - 2 bottle pockets so good if you don't have bottle bosses.  You can everything that goes in the Hot Laps 5 in it but will need to use of the bottle pockets for the jacket, which we have successfully.  Hip pockets are great and big, good for snacks wouldn't put anything hard in them after crashing on a multitool - ow.  No bungee or extra layer straps but that hasn't been an issue.  Same version as reviewed here: https://nsmb.com/articles/osprey-seral-and-savu-hip-packs-reviewed/ which they still seem to be selling.  The teens like it also but not as much as Hot Laps 1L.

Not used it for Biking (just hikes) but I have a Osprey Heritage 8L hip pack which is massive and great for hikes with the dog - water, bowl, snacks (dog and human), etc etc. Tempted to try it on the bike.

April 29, 2024, 1:35 p.m.

Bontrager rapid-pack. It puts the bottle in the middle of your spine, which keeps the weight even. Large/padded straps keep things stationary and comfortable. I sometimes forget to take it off when I'm done my ride and end up surprising myself as I sit down in my car.

April 29, 2024, 7:30 p.m.

its only a matter of time before people start using real packs again

April 29, 2024, 9:35 p.m.

i used mine only for a short season. they are useless for epic alpine rides. also, range extender needs space too

Last edited by: Sethimus on April 29, 2024, 9:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 30, 2024, 7:43 a.m.

I have an Evoc Pro 3 which I like because the strap is a big overlapping velcro thing with the buckle on the outside. I found most other hip packs have a raw buckle right where you're leaning forwards. I put a Hydrapak Contour Lumbar 1.5L bladder in it which works pretty well. In the end I found this is actually the worst of both worlds.

Going super minimal with just a water bottle has the benefit of not carrying a load on your shoulders or hips but I tend to drink a lot less.

Going with the pack (and my Osprey Raptor 14 pack is light, doesn't shift around and has plenty of capacity) I have all the water I need even on the hottest day and the tube is close enough at hand that I can take a drink while riding technical terrain.

The hip pack doesn't carry much and if it's fully loaded it doesn't feel good on my back. With a bladder inside it's a lot further to get the tube from its waist clip to my mouth so it's barely more convenient than a bottle and doesn't really offer much benefit.

For short up-down rides I just go super minimal. My in-frame storage has a Oneup 70, EDC, bacon plugger and triangle bandage. All I carry in my pocket is my phone and keys. For everything else I bring my pack. I don't find riding with a pack onerous at all. But of all my friends who complain about wearing a pack I'm the only one with a 350lb deadlift so go figure.

Last edited by: craw on April 30, 2024, 7:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.