Classic radio silence.

March 10, 2024, 6:33 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: heckler

when was the last time you serviced it?

Classic radio silence.

It got buried a bit in the replies but Andy did answer:

Posted by: andy-eunson

I had new bushing installed last summer as the originals were too loose. Full service then as well. And I’m pretty good at servicing the lowers every couple months or so.

March 14, 2024, 8:31 a.m.

So I don’t find my fork to my liking. Seems a bit harsh. I run close to the recommended psi for my weight, no tokens and light damping. Was thinking af changing the fork to a higher end fork but then thought maybe going coil instead. Is the stock damper up to the task? Some people like the Grip (I think) damper. It only has a single high stepped compression adjuster and rebound. Thoughts?

On yesterday's ride I was reminded of something silly I'd forgotten: On my 36, unlike other forks I've had, even light compression (3 clicks in for example) can fuck with initial breakaway and make it feel more harsh. Likely too obvious, but have you tried running compression completely wide open see if that helps? Maybe throw a bit more pressure in there to maintain mid stroke support.

Unscientific anecdotal evidence from a hack, but if I'm shuttling DH I bump up psi and back off all the dials except a bit of rebound and it eliminates my hand pain.

Conversely for steep slow days I feel like I'm going to die if I don't dial in a healthy amount of slow speed compression...

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 14, 2024, 9:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 14, 2024, 5:24 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

So I don’t find my fork to my liking. Seems a bit harsh. I run close to the recommended psi for my weight, no tokens and light damping. Was thinking af changing the fork to a higher end fork but then thought maybe going coil instead. Is the stock damper up to the task? Some people like the Grip (I think) damper. It only has a single high stepped compression adjuster and rebound. Thoughts?

On yesterday's ride I was reminded of something silly I'd forgotten: On my 36, unlike other forks I've had, even light compression (3 clicks in for example) can fuck with initial breakaway and make it feel more harsh. Likely too obvious, but have you tried running compression completely wide open see if that helps? Maybe throw a bit more pressure in there to maintain mid stroke support.

Unscientific anecdotal evidence from a hack, but if I'm shuttling DH I bump up psi and back off all the dials except a bit of rebound and it eliminates my hand pain.

Conversely for steep slow days I feel like I'm going to die if I don't dial in a healthy amount of slow speed compression...

Yeah I often run very low compression damping. On this fork if I dial compression as low as it goes I have a mild knock sound. Two clicks of damping and it goes away. S4 says the damper is fine but that noise bothers me. I can’t say that two clicks make a tonne of difference to me but if I remember I will back off that damper when I hit a longer descent.

I’m gonna play with adding a volume spacer and running less pressure. Can’t hurt. Trying to find the balance between getting full travel on occasion and still having "correct" sag and mid stroke support has been elusive.

I’ve not really had this kind of issue in a long time. Almost considering dumping the fork altogether.

And I am pretty annal about maintenance in general. I run two bikes and will have the forks in the shop for a full service annually and I do my own lowers service a couple times a season on each fork too.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 14, 2024, 5:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 14, 2024, 6:16 p.m.

Having a fork that is running suboptimal is the worst. 

Drop off Burnaby Fox and have them work it out? 

My (very impulsive) buddy recently sold his 36 and replaced it with a Zeb, reportedly it's changed his entire life for the better.

March 23, 2024, 4:38 p.m.

I played with the damper switch the other day. It may have been assembled a bit wrong. The shaft is supposed to be turned all the way clockwise to a soft stop. Then you attached the levered dial. I reduced the psi to 65 from 75. I bottomed out on something not that big so added another 5 psi. Seems better now. I may have solved my problem.

March 25, 2024, 10:13 p.m.

I played with the damper switch the other day. It may have been assembled a bit wrong. The shaft is supposed to be turned all the way clockwise to a soft stop. Then you attached the levered dial. I reduced the psi to 65 from 75. I bottomed out on something not that big so added another 5 psi. Seems better now. I may have solved my problem.

That's good news. Very satisfying finally figuring out something like this.