MEAT Engines 2024...

Jan. 1, 2024, 1:58 p.m.

New MEAT for '24.

Happy New Year all.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Jan. 1, 2024, 2:06 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 1, 2024, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

New MEAT for '24.

Happy New Year all.

Happy New Year, Marty!

"Everything serious is always [Full Suspension]" - Jerry Willows

#JerryWillowsHatesMyBike

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Jan. 1, 2024, 2:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2024, 2:16 p.m.

MEAT for the people! Huzzah! Bring on 2024.

Jan. 2, 2024, 12:51 p.m.

Andrew - i'm lovin' the leopard print pant / trousers.  I bet you get a few looks / questions.

Jan. 2, 2024, 1:16 p.m.

Andrew - i'm lovin' the leopard print pant / trousers.  I bet you get a few looks / questions.

We rolled into a whole pack of friendly older folks out for a hike today and they had some very enthusiastic compliments on my pants. They just may be the best biker/hiker interface icebreaker of all time?!

The only really weird/judgemental looks I get are from folks I wouldn't want to talk to anyways.

Jan. 2, 2024, 1:37 p.m.

I'm sure there are a few "Too cool for School Endurobros" who would turn their nose up at them.

It would almost be worth going full euro DH with full lycra under pads just for the reaction....

Jan. 3, 2024, 1:43 p.m.

Gee, I like your pants.

Keep it up Andrew.  I enormously enjoy reading Meat Engines.

The other side of the story.

A different perspective.

A grain of salt with which to take the bike industry.

www.northshorebillet.com

Jan. 3, 2024, 8:21 p.m.

I'm sure there are a few "Too cool for School Endurobros" who would turn their nose up at them.

It would almost be worth going full euro DH with full lycra under pads just for the reaction....

Duooode....Enduro Bro before Enduro Bro was cool Enduro Bro Posterior Waist Satchel.  

Jan. 3, 2024, 8:30 p.m.

Andrew, you mentioned other options for water purifying on the ride. Have carried both these as that back up for remote locations. The upper MSR one haven't had to use it. The Lifestraw carry it all the time and have used it a few times.  Seen images from Scotland of riders using Lifestraw's to take drinks from nearby creeks and streams.

Jan. 3, 2024, 10:37 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Duooode....Enduro Bro before Enduro Bro was cool Enduro Bro Posterior Waist Satchel.  

Like it.  Do you still use it?

Jan. 3, 2024, 11:35 p.m.

Like it.  Do you still use it?

Still do. First mod was gluing a chunk cut from a foam camping sleeping pad inside. Further mods in future. Just need to invest in a sewing awl to do it.

Jan. 4, 2024, 12:59 a.m.

Still do. First mod was gluing a chunk cut from a foam camping sleeping pad inside. Further mods in future. Just need to invest in a sewing awl to do it.

Sweet - keep us updated on the mods.  I love a bit of DIY mtb.

Jan. 4, 2024, 1:05 a.m.

High Rise Bars / Stems - 

Andrew - following Pinkbikes (in my opinion terrible*) review of the BMB Raised Reverse Stem are there any plans for it to be tested long term by anyone at NSMB?  I think there is something in the concept but it needs time and thought.

*PB didn't give the stem enough time or tweaking of bike setup to give it a fair review.  From my own messing around  with bars and stems it takes time for your body to adapt to different setups and the bike setup needs to be adjusted as well.

Jan. 4, 2024, 4:52 a.m.

High Rise Bars / Stems - 

Andrew - following Pinkbikes (in my opinion terrible*) review of the BMB Raised Reverse Stem are there any plans for it to be tested long term by anyone at NSMB?  I think there is something in the concept but it needs time and thought.

*PB didn't give the stem enough time or tweaking of bike setup to give it a fair review.  From my own messing around  with bars and stems it takes time for your body to adapt to different setups and the bike setup needs to be adjusted as well.

Seconding this suggestion. I’d also like to hear how our members of The Infinite Spacer Squad™️ get on with it. The PB review was about as positive for BMB as I expected; the last time this came up I recall thinking/commenting that such an extreme step change is going to be hard for consumers and reviewers to swallow. A run of 4-8 products with different setbacks and heights would be more useful in my opinion. This kind of optionset would give you much more control over roll and ESL independently of bar height.

I think we all know that the ME Stem of the Year for 2023 is going to WZRD and it is having no stem at all. 😀

Happy New Year everyone.

Jan. 4, 2024, 5 a.m.

I've just been watching a few PVD videos on stems, bars etc and whilst not agreeing with everything he says (especially on short rear centres) he does make a lot of good points in that reach, stack (and most other common bike measurements) don't mean anything and it is all about hand position. He has been doing -ESL as well.

If it wasn't for the price I would try a BMB RR Stem - the price is understandable though as there is a lot of machining. I wish I picked up a Rulezman stem when they were available....

Shame this https://analogcycles.com/products/discord-components-creemee-stem isn't rated beyond normal use.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Jan. 4, 2024, 5:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.