War in the Middle East

Oct. 13, 2023, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

It obviously depends on what shade your skin is.

Everyone in the west is a fucking hypocrite. Nothing but sympathy for the Uyghurs because it's evil China but for those 2 million in the open-air concentration camp that is Gaza that Israel openly says they're gonna kill as many civilians of as possible everyone just fucking shrugs and does mental backflips to justify it somehow.

I'm so fucking disgusted. 500 palestinian children dead so far and nobody is calling it out for what it is because their occupiers aren't Asian communists.

Lots of people are calling it out for what it is.  In fact, most Israelis believe Bibi should resign and blame him for the attack.  The real difference is not Westerners taking sides over skin colour, it's the pro-Israel lobbyists and their billions.  This includes Evangelical Christians in America (who outnumber Jews globally) that believe in the end times and pour money into the settlements.

Oct. 13, 2023, 10:44 a.m.

Every time I hear news such as this, I stop and ask myself who benefits? Not the average Palestinian or Israeli.

Oct. 13, 2023, 10:47 a.m.

Posted by: Putty

Every time I hear news such as this, I stop and ask myself who benefits? Not the average Palestinian or Israeli.

It is never the average anyone.

Oct. 13, 2023, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Putty

It is never the average anyone.

Precisely.

Oct. 13, 2023, 5:58 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

It obviously depends on what shade your skin is.

Everyone in the west is a fucking hypocrite. Nothing but sympathy for the Uyghurs because it's evil China but for those 2 million in the open-air concentration camp that is Gaza that Israel openly says they're gonna kill as many civilians of as possible everyone just fucking shrugs and does mental backflips to justify it somehow.

I'm so fucking disgusted. 500 palestinian children dead so far and nobody is calling it out for what it is because their occupiers aren't Asian communists.

Lots of people are calling it out for what it is.  In fact, most Israelis believe Bibi should resign and blame him for the attack.  The real difference is not Westerners taking sides over skin colour, it's the pro-Israel lobbyists and their billions.  This includes Evangelical Christians in America (who outnumber Jews globally) that believe in the end times and pour money into the settlements.

Nobody who matters is calling it out for what it is. 

Trudeau couldn't shut up about the plight of the Uyghurs and how China was genociding them even after Uyghur separatists killed hundreds of Chinese civilians in the Kunming train station with knives but with Israel the official stance of every western nation is that they have the right to defend themselves.  

It's such an obvious and blatant double standard.

Oct. 13, 2023, 6:36 p.m.

Any western nation who recognizes Palestine as a nation risks pissing off Israel. But it's not like they are recognizing Hamas, just Palestine as a country.

More stupid fighting over religion. Somewhere aliens are watching us earthlings & thinking that we are fools.

Oct. 14, 2023, 12:59 a.m.

Trudeau couldn't shut up about the plight of the Uyghurs and how China was genociding them even after Uyghur separatists killed hundreds of Chinese civilians in the Kunming train station with knives but with Israel the official stance of every western nation is that they have the right to defend themselves.  

There were something like 30  people killed in the attack, not hundreds, and it was done by a handful of Muslim terrorists.

Regardless, what was the reason for the attack?

Oct. 14, 2023, 6:21 a.m.

35 (including four perpetrators)

No group claimed responsibility for the attack and no ties to any organization have been identified, in effect the group was a singular terror cell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

Nice distraction though.

Oct. 14, 2023, 6:22 a.m.

The history leading up to this current iteration of war is fascinating. Follow the wiki links   Follow the money.    

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League_boycott_of_Israel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliyah

Last edited by: heckler on Oct. 14, 2023, 6:25 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 14, 2023, 6:36 a.m.

~2080 years of history. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_captivity

Oct. 14, 2023, 6:48 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Any western nation who recognizes Palestine as a nation 

Do you mean the Peleset who fought Ramesses III some 3000 years ago?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_name_Palestine

Fascinating.

Oct. 14, 2023, 7:11 a.m.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

Love the disclaimer on the top of this one.  I find wiki a great spurce of history, and usially truth.

Oct. 16, 2023, 9:47 a.m.

An from the Tyee that offers a list of articles from other publishers to read if you want to better understand the conflict between Israel and Palestine.

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2023/10/16/Reading-Israel-Hamas-War

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 16, 2023, 9:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 16, 2023, 10:33 a.m.

Nobody who matters is calling it out for what it is. 

It was never conclusive that is was Uyghurs, but more importantly that one attack with knives pales in comparison to the well orchestrated attacks from Hamas Israel has endured since day one.  

I am not pro-Israel at all, but the differences are obvious.  I suspect that if China left the Uyghurs alone they could coexist peacefully, but that would not happen in Israel.  There is a double standard when it comes to Israel, I will not argue that, but this is not apples to apples.  

I criticize Israel a lot, but it is mostly due to the fact that they are the adult in the room so they are the only ones that can fix things.  While I sympathize with the Palestinians and I feel strongly that they deserve a chance to have their own functional government, the fact is Hamas is mostly welcome to do as they wish within their borders.  This is complicated.  What China is doing is not.

Oct. 16, 2023, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

~2080 years of history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_captivity

The history is important to know to understand the conflict, but it also shows how catering to religion, cultural identity, and historical claims are ultimately destructive. People compare Israel to Canada and colonization which is fair, but I think Israel is a lesson in the lack of validity of historical claims to the land. In Canada I believe that the indigenous claim to land doesn't come from their long history, it comes from the fact they occupied the land when the colonists arrived. We don't spend any time trying to understand if one first nation was displaced by another first nation 3000 years ago. It doesn't matter and the history from the bible shouldn't either.

In the creation of Israel it was decided that historical claims to the land were more important than the current occupation. It was also decided that the historic claim was not related to lineage, but by culture, so the truth is that most of the Jewish people that immigrated from Europe had very little genetic connection to ancient Israel. The Palestinians on the other hand are semitic.

So just as important as the history is to understand the conflict, we also can't keep using it to justify anything people do today or this will go on for eons or until one side is dead.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Oct. 17, 2023, 8:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.