Build kits

Feb. 20, 2024, 5:24 p.m.

Is there anyway to buy a complete build kit for a bike, without having to source individual components?

I'm contemplating a "frame only" (hardtail) so I'd need "everything else" and I'm just wondering if I can buy a complete drivetrain group set + forks + wheel set (inc tires) + finishing kit.

(I notice that Knolly are now sold as "build yourself" so I presume your Knolly frame turns up with a big box full of all the other components needed, down to cable and fastening).

I'm prioritizing convenience, availability, compatibility and, maybe, cost savings over being overly picky about specific component choice.

Last thing I want would be build process drags on for months just because one shop is slow in sending out the last critical piece of a build.

(And, no, I don't have a garage full of ready-to-go parts like I guess a lot on here do!)

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Feb. 20, 2024, 5:25 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 20, 2024, 5:51 p.m.

Sorry, don't have a specific answer.

But whenever I've built up frames I worked with a local shop. As a bonus I end up scavenging lots of cheap-to-free crap they have laying around just taking up space. Built up a bunch of frames over the years this way.

Feb. 20, 2024, 5:59 p.m.

A bike shop will put together a build kit for a frame and give you an all in cost for it if you ask. Some of the online vendors will likely do the same if you want to go that route.

Feb. 20, 2024, 6:57 p.m.

Sometimes distributors will poach frames from full bikes to cover frame warranties and they will hold on to the parts kits, and if you know someone you can sometimes get your hands on these kits.

Feb. 20, 2024, 7:06 p.m.

Hmm don't recall if seen complete build kits. Have seen in the past closer to partial build kits.

Feb. 21, 2024, 2:31 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Sometimes distributors will poach frames from full bikes to cover frame warranties and they will hold on to the parts kits, and if you know someone you can sometimes get your hands on these kits.

Confirm, I have a buddy with a Rune V2 frame hung with parts he got when a shop did a custom build on an Intense that arrived complete.

Feb. 21, 2024, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

(I notice that Knolly are now sold as "build yourself" so I presume your Knolly frame turns up with a big box full of all the other components needed, down to cable and fastening).

That's exactly how my Knolly turned up but I assume it's down to being a small brand with limited staffing selling to the sort of enthusiasts who aren't pissed they have to trim their own brake lines and cut their fork steerer.

I'd see if you can buy a cheaper hardtail or something on sale and just port over all of the parts, then sell the frame. Like this: https://www.evo.com/mountain/orbea-laufey-h10-complete-bike#image=212149/903459/orbea-laufey-h10-complete-mountain-bike-2022-.jpg

Feb. 21, 2024, 8:12 p.m.

I don’t think anyone does this anymore but thanks for the nostalgia jolt - i used to obsessively follow the Colorado Cyclist/Bike Nashbar/Performance build kit deals!

Feb. 21, 2024, 9:47 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I don’t think anyone does this anymore but thanks for the nostalgia jolt - i used to obsessively follow the Colorado Cyclist/Bike Nashbar/Performance build kit deals!

And I still fondly recall getting Steed to build up a fully custom polished dual crown SC Heckler (2003 Meatpowered), obsessing over ever single component.

Feb. 21, 2024, 10:29 p.m.

Posted by: Abies

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

That's exactly how my Knolly turned up but I assume it's down to being a small brand with limited staffing selling to the sort of enthusiasts who aren't pissed they have to trim their own brake lines and cut their fork steerer.

I'd see if you can buy a cheaper hardtail or something on sale and just port over all of the parts, then sell the frame. Like this: https://www.evo.com/mountain/orbea-laufey-h10-complete-bike#image=212149/903459/orbea-laufey-h10-complete-mountain-bike-2022-.jpg

Lol, actually that Orbea is one my "potential" list but I hadn't been able to find an XL one reasonably local (Vancouver/Lower Mainland). If the frame geo and feel is good/ok, and it doesn't weigh 35lbs+, it would probably be fine as-is. And a LOT cheaper than some options I've been looking at

I best go and read some more reviews!

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Feb. 21, 2024, 10:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 22, 2024, 3:35 a.m.

raaw does rolling chassis, where you spec your fav group and brakeset

Feb. 24, 2024, 9:45 a.m.

Last time I checked the Chromag site they were selling Lyriks and SRAM brake sets for a decent price - not a complete built kit, but a decent start.