Anyone take brakes off bike to bleed them?

April 24, 2024, 2:44 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Dumb question...can that shimano funnel only be used on shimano brakes or would it screw into other levers as well?

Not a dumb question at all, but if memory serves, the thread pitch between say Shimano and Sram lever ports are different.

April 24, 2024, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: ClydeRide

Gravity flush and bleed was reasonably successful.  I really should get a bike repair stand though.  A gong show it was haha.

Every cyclist needs a work stand.

That sentence is incomplete. "Every cyclist needs a good work stand"   I had a cheap one that sufficed for years until "the incident".  I had the first Hayes hydraulic disc brakes and was performing a bleed. Their bleed kit was pathetic. The bottle at the master cylinder sort of screwed in via a plastic tip. It fit where it touched. My cheap stand let go and allowed the bike which I had angled to get the rear calliper lower than the master cylinder causing the bleed bottle to fall and an arc of DOT fluid to spray across my shop. I had to douse all the bikes outside in plenty of water to get the DOT off. Cuss words were expleted. The wife peeked through the drapes to see what was going on. Bought a Park next day.

April 24, 2024, 7:24 p.m.

i waited for a bike store to go under and bought the shop park professional clamp, a park wheel truing stand and a bunch of other shit.

If you see a store goin under grab that stand, give buddy cash and watch it go straight into his back pocket

every time i hear the words " Hayes hydralic brakes" I break into a cold sweat

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 24, 2024, 7:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 24, 2024, 9:29 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

No aversion, just find it less than ideal. The lever needs to be level and it's easier to spill fluid than with a closed system. I'm a pretty clumsy guy.

I'll get over it.

you mark the lever and bar with a permanent marker, put the lever in a level position, do the bleed, put the lever back to its original position and remove the marker marks with alcohol. not that hard…

April 24, 2024, 9:55 p.m.

Dumb question...can that shimano funnel only be used on shimano brakes or would it screw into other levers as well?

You can replicate it by removing the plunger from a syringe with short hose and fittings that threads into whatever system you're working on.

That said, off the top of my head I'm not sure why you'd want to.

No aversion, just find it less than ideal. The lever needs to be level and it's easier to spill fluid than with a closed system. I'm a pretty clumsy guy.

I'll get over it.

They added a lip to the V2 of the funnel just for you!

Last edited by: Jotegir on April 24, 2024, 9:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2024, 7:48 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

you mark the lever and bar with a permanent marker, put the lever in a level position, do the bleed, put the lever back to its original position and remove the marker marks with alcohol. not that hard…

Not hard, just more work than not having to do it.

Posted by: Jotegir

They added a lip to the V2 of the funnel just for you!

That's great ;-)

April 25, 2024, 7:56 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

If you don't have a bike stand, you shouldn't be doing brake bleeds. Full stop.

Last November I did a full Sram bleed without a stand, in my parents' guest bedroom. I propped up the bike on some wooden blocks with some cardboard and newspaper underneath and did the bleed sitting on my knees. No problems, no mess. Have done this before in kitchens and on patios in various places around the world.

I don't think I would try this with a Shimano bleed, especially not the messy gravity bleed method from the SC guy.

April 25, 2024, 8:50 a.m.

Buddy is probably bleeding fluid into a gravel p-lot at  races so it doesnt matter but yeah I did notice the mess SC guy was  making,

April 25, 2024, 9:22 a.m.

I used a couple straps with a hook at both ends and a little loop tied in the middle for years, worked very well. I’ve seen bike shops relying on it also. Use a cam strap and it’s easily height adjustable  

Attach one hook to something overhead, loop the other around the stem and hook to the little loop.  Repeat with the other strap around the seatpost.

April 25, 2024, 11:38 a.m.

I'll get over it.

Why not just pick the front of the bike up till the levers are level? 🤔 Rear hose will now be pointed uphill too, instead of having that reverse before the caliper.

I like Tashi's plan. When my stand broke I cut a simple loop of string that went around the stem and hung from a pre-existing hook to elevate the front end. When not using it just put the loop of string back in the toolbox. Wasn't exactly a big project to create, with some cam straps would've been deluxe.

There's always something to elevate the front end of the bike on, even outdoors. I've done bleeds just standing there holding the bike up with my foot behind the wheel- just don't forget to keep everything within arm's reach like I inevitably do lol.

-------------------

This is all off topic actually as Niels was talking about full bleeds. And he's right, Shimano seems unnecessarily messy. 

Just watched the Official Shimano Full Bleed Video and there seems like several gratuitous steps:

https://youtu.be/Ao-GDQ488DY?si=fpqMxGcDJlUnlkEB

Last edited by: Hepcat on April 25, 2024, 11:51 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 25, 2024, 12:38 p.m.

I think perhaps I'll hang my bike by the stem from a noose and should the bleed fail step into said noose.

Dark humor...it makes the world go around.

April 26, 2024, 4:27 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I'll get over it.

Why not just pick the front of the bike up till the levers are level? 🤔 Rear hose will now be pointed uphill too, instead of having that reverse before the caliper.

I like Tashi's plan. When my stand broke I cut a simple loop of string that went around the stem and hung from a pre-existing hook to elevate the front end. When not using it just put the loop of string back in the toolbox. Wasn't exactly a big project to create, with some cam straps would've been deluxe.

There's always something to elevate the front end of the bike on, even outdoors. I've done bleeds just standing there holding the bike up with my foot behind the wheel- just don't forget to keep everything within arm's reach like I inevitably do lol.

-------------------

This is all off topic actually as Niels was talking about full bleeds. And he's right, Shimano seems unnecessarily messy. 

Just watched the Official Shimano Full Bleed Video and there seems like several gratuitous steps:

i do that usually at work where i can use a motorized stand in the even

April 26, 2024, 9:29 a.m.

I've done full top to bottom bleeds in a stand and while the bike is leaning on a wall based on available space at the time. Secure the bike however you choose, loosen all the appropriate bolts to get the lever/master cylinder into the horizontal position that you need. At this point Sethimus' marker trick is spot on. I use string and tape to make sure nothing is going to move as far as the handlebars rotating etc and then I'm off to bleed city. I use the same system for Hopes as Shimano I.e. a cup/funnel and a syringe system if I really want to get the last last last micro bubble out. 
Moving the caliper off the mounts to let them dangle and moving each individual piston in and out is paramount to getting all the bubbles out, but it's a stepwise process and one that rewards patience and doing the same thing over and over again.